Cognitive Classroom Learning Coach Assistant
All students at Wired2Learn Academy (W2LA) have learning disabilities. Our students are smart and capable. They are not lazy, but they do struggle to learn some things. W2LA empowers students with learning disabilities to change the trajectory of their lives. Students are taught how to overcome learned helplessness. Our students are loved, challenged, and engaged by our staff. Our students are supported. W2LA is a place where students & staff share, fail, succeed, grow, cry, and laugh…a lot!
Imagine that learning disabilities were not a life sentence. Imagine if students could strengthen the areas of their brains that cause learning disabilities. Imagine if students each got the unique support they need, despite their sometimes-poor behavior or negative outlook on life. Imagine students who succeed academically, socially, and emotionally. Imagine that you are part of a staff who truly believes in our students and is ready to make a positive impact on their lives!
This Job Isn’t for Everyone
This job isn’t for everyone. We hope that this will help you understand that this role isn’t for you OR that this is the exact position you have been waiting for. We are looking for someone to walk alongside our students. We want someone who is passionate about student success and will go above and beyond to help our students succeed, even when they don’t deserve it. Our students know when someone is fake. The Cognitive Learning Coach Assistant must be willing to try and fail alongside our students. Please consider applying if you are:
- Excited to learn the connections between learning, emotion, and the brain
- You are organized and can help us translate stats into real meaningful goals
- Love kids & youth
- Passionate about helping kids succeed
- Willing to make mistakes in front of our students and be an example for us on how to try again
- Desiring to work in a community where relationship is #1
- Know some stuff well
- Willing to learn beside our students and staff
- Able to think on your feet and innovate well
- Vulnerable and you don’t always have to be right
- Positive & upbeat with an optimistic mindset
- Willing to understand the unique stories of our students
- Willing to understand the broad landscape of learning disabilities
- Willing to offer creative solutions
- A hard worker!
July 29th, 2021
Position: Full Time
Application Deadline: August 20th, 2021
School year: Sept 7th-July16th. We are considered a year-round school. We are in school 180 days a year with several breaks during the school year.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, education or related field, BS or BA degree. Most importantly, candidates must show evidence of accomplishment, innovation, and academic achievement. We are looking someone with for a passion for helping students succeed. We welcome recent graduates to apply.
- A proven track record of supporting students and peers in a positive manner.
- A desire to learn and be immersed in the mind, brain, and education.
- An understanding of the diverse landscape of learning disabilities.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants must email the following. Email submittals only.
- Letter of Interest
- Resume with References
- Letter of Recommendation
You will need to submit all pieces for your resume to be considered. We want to hear from you and why you think you are a good fit for our school.
Please visit our website at www.wired2learnacademy.com to learn more about our school.
Full job description
Cognitive Classroom Learning Coach Assistant Job Description
We are searching for an Assistant Learning Coach in our Cognitive Classroom. This individual will need to have a heart for kids that struggle with learning disabilities. Our cognitive classroom is built from an intense program that focuses on the weak areas of the brain. Assistant Learning Coach is responsible for encouraging students to push through the hard and challenging exercises they are doing daily and helping them to see their true potential. This coach will be meeting students where they are every day and working alongside them as they combat the difficult moments as well as celebrating every student’s achievement.
We are looking for someone who is willing to put relationships with our students first. We are looking for someone who will foster the idea that we all have our own challenges and we all can accomplish them with a healthy lifestyle and positive mindset. The assistant learning coach must share the belief that behind every challenging behavior there is a need. It is our responsibility as the coaches to find out what that need is and give the tools to address that need.
Education and Professional Requirements
A desire to understand the field of neuroscience and the principles of neuroplasticity is an advantage.
Professional Reading List
- The Woman Who Changed Her Brain By Barbara Arrowsmith-Young
- Brain School By Howard Eaton, ED.M.
This position has the potential to become a salaried position after a year. Applicants must be willing to learn and grow so they can work into the position of Cognitive Classroom Learning Coach.
We are looking for a professional, self-motivated team member who promotes a positive work environment.
Interested candidates must have:
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to work as a team with Wired2Learn Academy staff
- Willingness to share ideas and exchange information appropriately with other Wired2Learn Academy staff
- Energetic and self-directed
- Good memory for details
- Willingness to help promote student independence and appropriate peer interactions
- Patience in teaching individuals who have difficulty learning new concepts
- Ability to keep daily records of student progress
- Ability to keep students and parents informed about progress
- Assisting the Cognitive Classroom Coach with classroom management.
- Supervising students while they are working to assure they are doing their exercises properly.
- Typing for students that need extra support.
- Taking attempts and timing students during class time.
- Collaborating and setting daily goals with students and the Cognitive Classroom Learning Coach.
- Keeping an open line of communication with the other Coaches in the Academy with a willingness to collaborate and take constructive criticism with the intention to learn and grow more comfortable in the role of an Assistant Learning Coach.
- Participating in events outside of the designated school hours.
- Willingness to participate in school fundraising events.
- Monitoring all break times and spend time outside during one of the long breaks, monitoring students and behaviors
- Assist/facilitate various activities for the Brain Boot Camp that help parents experience/understand
- Must be able to work Monday through Friday 8:15 am-4:15 pm.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $12.00 – $20.00 per hour